12.27.2011

JG’s Favorite Happy Hours of 2011

I’m a big fan of year in review lists. If a magazine has “Best of (Insert year here)” on the cover, I am sold. These lists remind me of major news & pop culture moments and what TV shows, movies, & music I should be checking out. It’s also nice to walk down memory lane and remember where I was, who I was with, and what I was drinking during such momentous times. In the spirit of reminiscing, I was inspired to recap what happy hours I went to this year. There were some that were just ok, some I’d like to forget, and some that I loved so much that I talked about it for weeks after visiting.

Here’s to my favorite happy hours that I reviewed this year!

Barbrix – Silverlake
Twitter-turned-real-life-friend The Minty and I met up at this Mediterranean inspired restaurant in Silverlake in April. I was treated with such amazing service the second I walked in the door. I was pretty impressed considering they had no idea I was booze blogger. The great welcome was followed up with amazing wine, amazing food, and amazing dessert. I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t been to this place sooner. As I write this, I wonder why I’m not there right now.

Waterloo & City – Culver City
In late spring, I checked out the Culver City restaurant, Waterloo & City. I was amazed that they have more food options than any happy hour that I’ve ever checked out. They feature 19 – NINETEEN!!! – food options on the menu. My friend Kate & I only had a few things to eat, but I aspire to work my way through that happy hour menu because the mussels and the tuna tartar were so damn good. It was also a good sign to see all the regulars that the restaurant had made in the short time that it has been opened.

Saint Felix – Hollywood
Saint Felix opened a new location on the Cahuenga Corridor in June, and I checked it out with one of my favorite happy hour partners, June. Fate, right? Saint Felix quickly became a favorite happy hour of mine because they feature specialty cocktails half-off at happy hour, something few bars do. For $6.50, one can try my favorite, The Stockholm Syndrome, a refreshing cocktail made with gin, mint, and some other goodies. Non-booze related, I am also in love with the leg lamp on the bar.


Boneyard Bistro – Sherman Oaks
Sometimes food is just as important as booze when going to happy hour. Since most people are attending happy hour straight from work and in need of dinner, food deals are a must. Boneyard Bistro makes sure that your belly leaves happy with their spin on BBQ. To the Kobe Meatloaf Sliders: I heart you. Very much. My friend Arielle & I got adventurous and also tried the gator tacos. If that doesn’t make you feel warm & fuzzy, Boneyard Bistro also donates a percentage of alcohol sales to a different charitable organization every week.


Drinking for a good cause w/ Arielle at Boneyard Bistro

Yxta Cocina Mexicana – Downtown LA
In September, JB & I were invited to check out this somewhat hidden gem in downtown LA. It’s not so much that it is literally hidden, it’s just in a remote downtown neighborhood, so you have to be a little adventurous (for LA, anyway) to make it here. With all the different margaritas, tacos, salsas, & desserts that we enjoyed, I hope that we encouraged more people to go outside their regular neighborhood spots.

Fat Fish – West Hollywood
Fat Fish was not only one of my favorite happy hours of the year – but maybe ever. The drink and sushi deals were out of this world. I mean good sushi dishes too, not just the basics. My buddy Kyle introduced me to Fat Fish in February. A few weeks later, we ran into each other on a random happy hour visit and joined our tables. Sadly, the day after our feast there, Kyle emailed me that Fat Fish had suddenly closed. Hopefully, there is a plan for a new location in the New Year. It is missed.

The Last Sake-tinis at Fat Fish. Sad Face.

What were your favorite happy hours of this year? What memories do you have at these places?

Wishing everyone a safe & sexy New Year!!

Until 2012… JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails