4.14.2011

Barbrix

2442 Hyperion Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
323.662.2442
www.barbrix.com
twitter.com/barbrix


Parking: $6 Valet; Metered Street ParkingDays: Sunday-ThursdayTimes: 6pm-7:30pm; 10pm-1:30am closing
Drink Deals: ½ off all wines by the glass & select beers, $8 Prosecco cocktail of the weekFood Deals: $5 fries, $6 Barbrix burger

Hot damn! I finally found a great happy hour on the east side.

In trying to keep this site diverse, I’ve been trying to make it to the east side more to cover happy hours, but I always end up feeling like I should have spent my time and money going
downtown or to the west side. From rude table service to strangely empty bars and now constantly rising gas prices, happy hour on the east side was beginning to feel like a waste of time. That is, until I went to Barbrix.

I’ve been retweeting* Barbrix’s happy hour deals for some time now so when The Minty suggested that we meet up there, I figured it was about time that I finally check this place out. Upon arrival, I was immediately impressed by how welcoming everyone was. I showed up 5 minutes before they opened, and I was prepared to sit in my car but they ushered me right in. You would have thought that they knew I was coming.

As usual, I took a seat at the bar, which is good thing, since happy hour only takes place at the bar. And what a happening bar it was as happy hour went on! I was going to order to a glass of sauvignon blanc, but Brian the bartender asked if I was feeling adventurous. Answer? Always when it comes to drinks. He suggested a glass of vouvray ($6), a French wine that was less crisp than a sauvignon blanc and a bit smoother. I dug it.

When The Minty arrived, we got straight into ordering some food. The only happy hour food offered is burger and fries. This would normally make me want to throw a drink at someone, but since there was so many reasonably priced apps & entrees on the regular menu, I had no issues ordering from it. There was so many good options that we looked to Brian for suggestions. We started out with deviled eggs ($8) and a crostini plate ($7) with three different toppings of artichoke, salmon, & caponata. We also split the rainbow trout entrée ($16), topped with a butter lemon sauce mixed with crab and shrimp and slivers of zuchinni and carrots. Everything was beyond amazing!

$8 Deviled Eggs

$7 Crostini Plate

As we wrapped up our meal and requested another round of drinks, Brian suggested that we skip the wine and go with a dessert beverage. Since he had been spot on about everything else, we took his advice and were served a D’Asti Moscato ($4.50/glass), which is best described by Brian as a “Sprite flavored champagne.” It was so good that I wrote down the exact name, not so much for this review, but so I could buy a bottle for myself. And because Brian knows best, we closed out happy hour with the nutella crème brulee ($7).


Yum! Dessert time.

Finally, there is a happy hour on the east side worth my time and money and it is called Barbrix.
-JG
Rating: 5 Martinis
*If you’re on twitter, follow us @HappyHourTour!


Barbrix  on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming East! So glad you liked our spot. We just wanted to make a place that we ourselves would want to go. We put all our heart and soul into barbrix, and it makes it worth it all to read that you had fun. So glad you appreciated the food, the service, the ambiance and of course, crazy Brion! Thank you, and come back soon!
    adria & claudio blotta

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails