5.22.2012

Bacchus Kirk


925 Bush St.
San Francisco, CA 91409
415.474.4056








Parking: Garage 1 block from bar (unsure of cost)
Days: Daily
Time: 4-8pm
Drink Deals: $3.50 Draft Beer, $5 Well Drinks, $6 Tecates w/ shot of El Jimador & $2 off Bacchus cocktails
Food Deals: No food served here

I’ve heard from many east coast friends that there are no Happy Hours in LA (not true!) and that New York is really the only city that does Happy Hour (also not true).  But if New York is anything like San Francisco, then I cannot wait to hit up Happy Hour there because the choices were aplenty in this San Francisco! What’s great is that many bars & restaurants have signs posted outside to advertise their specials so one never has to feel cheap and ask “So, is it happy hour or what?”


If I lived in San Francisco, I would probably spend most of time at Bacchus Kirk. When I researched bars nearby my Union Square hotel, I was instantly hooked when I read that this Nob Hill place had a jukebox, fireplace, and a pool table. For me, this is a usually a sign that things are going to be all right.

As soon as I walked in with my coworker Andrew, I was very much reminded of The Woods with its dark interior, laid back atmosphere, & friendly staff.  I asked about the most popular specialty cocktail because when checking out new places, I like to branch out from my regular choice of wine when the opportunity presents itself. The bartender had no problem recommending one of their specialty cocktails. For some reason, sometimes it appears that bartenders are put out when asked for drink suggestions. If it’s busy, I kinda get it, but when it isn’t, I don’t see the problem.  Thank goodness this bartender knew how to make a gal feel welcome.

This is a seriously chill bar.
As suggested, I ordered the popular Bacchus Bramble ($6), a gin cocktail with Chambord, simple syrup, and fresh lemon juice. I’m not much of a gin drinker, but when I hear a drink is good and the combo is right, I’m always game. The drink was strong, as gin tends to be (Have you ever had a watered down gin drink?), but it was a drink that went down slow and smooth.  Never much for beer, I got the report from Andrew who tried a Big Daddy IPA ($3.50 draft) for the first time. He liked it enough to order another one.  All in all, Andrew liked that “there was a good selection for any palate.”

The Bacchus Bramble ($6)
As if good drinks weren’t enough, the bartender made a last call for Happy Hour.  Always a plus with JB & me! For my second cocktail, I ordered the peach mojito ($6) suggested by a friendly regular at the bar. And that was another thing… I really liked that the crowd was diverse all around. Not a weirdo in site (that I could see).  Next time, I’m in San Francisco, I will definitely go Bacchus Kirk!


-JG

Rating: 4.5 Martinis
*If there were food, it would be a 5 Martini rating. Andrew & I were hungry and grabbed grub at Super Duper Burgers – go to there!

1 comment:

  1. Love to know where the name Bacchus Kirk came from and the significance for the owner!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails