7.20.2010

Pepe's Mexican Restaurant

Pepe’s Mexican Restaurant
634 S. Weber Rd.
Romeoville, IL 60446
815.267.3100
www.pepes.com

Parking: Free lot

Every Tuesday & Thursday, 1/2 price big ass margaritas!

For my summer vacation, I visited my hometown of Romeoville, a suburb of Chicago. While some may expect me to opt for something more tropical or European, I just love to go back home. Nothing beats being able to lounge around in the living room with my girlfriends and talk life (and the pain of being grown up!), eating some of the best food this country has to offer, and drinking on the cheap.

At first, it took a while to find a happy hour special. You see, in the suburbs drinks are so
damn cheap that if there were a legit happy hour, drinks would probably have to be free. Almost every bar offers some type of special every night, but most of them are just for beers and shots. I’m not a big fan of beer, and I can’t do shots for reasons that are probably a whole other post. Thanks to those promotional mailers (that us city folk usually toss) my friend Diana learned that Pepe’s has margarita specials every Tuesday & Thursday night. Finally, something we could get on board with!

I hadn’t been to Pepe’s since I was in middle school, but I loved it then and I love it even more now that they offer great margarita specials. Pepe’s has 3 different sizes of margaritas – 16 oz., 27 oz., & believe it – 45 oz.- all at half-off! I got a bit overambitious and ordered the 27 oz. Passionfruit Margarita ($4.88) that could have easily been shared by 2 people. Needless to say, I got through a little more than half of it before I had to admit defeat. It was tasty though, not too sweet, and did the job of keeping me cool in the Midwest heat & humidity.

Unfortunately, Pepe’s doesn’t offer specials on any other drinks or on
any other nights. Diana tried the margarita, but she just doesn’t like tequila so she stuck with her tried & true strawberry daiquiri (16 oz for $7.75), which by LA standards is still a pretty good deal.

Although, I love my margaritas and Mexican food, I would only go back to Pepe’s if going for dinner, like we did on this visit, not to hang out. My drink & food were good, but there’s not much of a scene there. I much more prefer my Midwest sports bars, local rap battles, & house parties.
-JG


Rating: 3.5 Margaritas

Pepe's Mexican Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails