2.27.2013

Tonto Bar & Grill

5736 E Rancho Mañana Blvd.
Cave Creek, AZ 85331
(480) 488-0698

Parking: Free Parking Lot
Days: Daily
Times: 3-6pm
Drink Deals: Dollar off Draft Beers; $5 Well Cocktails & Featured Wines by the Glass; $6 Tontoritas; $8 Well Martinis
Food Deals: 3 Appetizers for $5 each

 

After a busy winter holiday season, I finally made it to another Happy Hour and it only took me 410 miles to get there! Ma & Pa were visiting the Phoenix/Scottsdale area with a few-days stay in Cave Creek, a cute (and tourist-y / retirement-y) little Western town on the north side of Scottsdale. So I high-tailed it there with the promise of at least one Happy Hour stop…

Inside the Bar  

And stop/feast we did! We found our way to Tonto Bar & Grill on the west side of Cave Creek. Tonto sits on the former Rancho Mañana dude ranch, now the pretty beautiful Rancho Mañana golf resort, and pays tribute to its Native American and Western heritage and history through its philosophy, menu, décor, etc. Read all about Tonto’s history here.

 Just a fun lil' catch-up with the folks, that's all!

I was thrilled to catch up with my mom & dad, especially in a setting so reminiscent of all the Westerns my dad watched when I was a kid (and that I’m only starting to fully appreciate now). Tonto was a perfect setting for all this as we lounged on the patio and enjoyed everything available on the Happy Hour food menu - three $5 apps:

White Corn & Chicken Quesadilla Chiquita with Roasted Corn & Tomato Salsa ($5)

Cabbage Wraps with Grilled & Chilled Tangerine Chipotle Chicken, Jicama, Radish, Carrot, Cilantro, Pickled Cucumber, and Shiitake Chips ($5)

Crispy Calamari Rings with Chipotle Chili Aioli and Arizona Citrus ($5)

Given the meaty nature of the HH menu, we also ordered the Three Sister Salsas (pictured below) from the regular appetizer menu for $9.50. The three salsas – Corn & Tomato, Chayote Squash & Tomatillo, and Tepary Bean w/ Red Chilies – were served with a trio of chips: Corn, Flour, and Indian Fry Bread (one of my favorite eats in Arizona!). We also added guacamole, but tipsy me forgot to get the price!


For cocktails, Ma had a $5 Rum & Coke; I had a $6 Tontorita (made with 100% Blue Agave Sauza Hornitos Tequila, Triple Sec, House-Made Sweet & Sour), and Dad enjoyed his draft $4 Four Peaks Kilt Lifter Beer.

Cocktails for Everyone!
The food and beverage were all delicious and the scenery and people watching couldn’t be beat! My only complaints were the lack of veggie options on the HH menu (easily solved with the very share-able Three Sister Salsas platter!), and that HH only runs until 6. BUT I think the 3-6 time probably works very well for people visiting the town AND really, I have a hard time whining about any Daily deals :)!

We weren’t able to make it to any other Happy Hours (though homemade margaritas on a pontoon boat adventure sure made me Happy!!), good thing Tonto tided me over until the next Happy Hour and/or visit with my parents!

 
Pontoon Boat Adventure!

 --JB

Rating: 4.5 Martinis

Tonto Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails