1.15.2010

The Galley


2442 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Parking: Metered Street Parking, $6 valet lots

M-Sat: 5-7 pm, Sun: 1-10:30 pm, $6 house wines, $5 well drinks, $4.50 beers, and half-off select food items at this wonderful life aquatic!

Our final stop on the Saturday Santa Monica Main Street Sweep was my favorite of the three bars, an inviting little restaurant called The Galley. From the outside naval theme to the Christmas light-lit inner deck (yes, those are lit-up blow-fish!), we dug the dark, cozy vibe and the yummy-in-my-tummy food menu.

By the time we got here, we’d grazed on chips & salsa, a quesadilla, and coconut curry dumplings, but were still hungry for dinner. BTW, weight-loss wise, I’ve decided no grazing; this girl needs to eat enough at one sitting to get full! Luckily, quite a few of the Galley’s food items were half-off – including the fried calamari, pasta marinara, ahi tuna sandwich, and more.

I’m a sucker for a vegetable plate (quite filling, yet not too terrible in nutrition - even with the dipping sauce) and so enjoyed their non-happy-hour priced veggie platter (still only $5.50) along with the Gourmet Onion Rings ($3.25 on special). I’ll be honest, I was driving that night, so enjoyed dinner with a Diet Coke w/ grenadine, a bar-treat favorite.

So we liked the menu, but the ambience was just as cool – there were plenty of interesting folks here in the limited bar seating and all the Christmas lights reminded me of a restaurant we used to go to when I was a kid in Omaha, Mr. C’s
. Happy memories doth a good review make! We didn’t have a chance to hang on the patio, but happy hour was available at both the bar and patio.

If I were a Santa Monican, I think the Galley could be one of my favorite grab-a-bite while being entertained by an old sailors’ tales kind of place. As it is, I’m sure to return on the next Main Street Sweep. Ahoy matey! There she blows! -- JB

Rating: 5 Martinis
The Galley on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails