You know we love booze and you know we love cupcakes so it's only logical that we celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Margarita Cupcakes! Inspired by Betty Crocker's deliciously appealing recipe, I added a lemon-lime cream cheese frosting and wa-lah, a star recipe is born!
1.5 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
.5 cup sugar
.5 cup butter (melted)
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
.75 cup bottled non-alcoholic margarita mix
.5 cup water
.33 cup vegetable oil
1 TBSP grated lime peel
3 egg whites
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
.5 cup butter, softened
1 TBSP grated lemon peel
1 TBSP lime juice
5 cups confectioners' sugar
Makes 30 single cupcakes.
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare cupcake liners by greasing the bottom with a touch of Crisco (or coconut oil if you're fancy).
2) In medium bowl, mix crust ingredients. Sprinkle evenly in bottom of cupcake liners; press gently.
3) In large bowl, beat cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spoon evenly over crust in cupcake liners.
4) Bake in oven for 16-20 minutes or until light golden brown and top springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool completely.
5) To make frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy, and stir in the lemon peel and lime juice. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl throughouly after each addition. Spread the frosting over the cupcakes.
As you can tell, these little treasures don't actually contain any liquor, so they're safe to share with the kiddos (as long as you don't mind a mile-high sugar-high), coworkers, or anyone else that you really want to wish a "Happy Cinco de Mayo," but without the actual tequila :).
From our kitchen to yours, happy Cinco de Mayo!!