11.28.2012

Mago Grill & Cantina


641 E. Boughton Rd.
Bolingbrook, IL 60440
630.783.2222

Parking: Free lot
Days: Monday-Thursday
Time: 3-6pm for food, All Night for drinks
Drink Deals: $5 Margaritas (M&T), $5 Sangria (W&Th)
Food Deals: $5 Select Appetizers

If you’ve been following my happy hour adventures through the Chicago suburbs, then you know that I’ve found some pretty good places, but nothing that has knocked me off my bar stool. Between my friend’s suggestion and a recent study stating that Bolingbrook has a high number of single, successful men, I decided it was time I switched up my boozin’ locations and head to Mago Grill & Cantina.

Mago Grill is located in fancy schmancy Bolingbrook Promenade. I say fancy because shopping options were limited when I was growing up in the area so I’ve been taking full advantage of the great stores and now will do the same with Mago Grill’s Happy Hour! The Happy Hour takes place Monday through Thursday and what they lack in days, they make up for in quality of drinks, food, and service.

On previous bar visits in the area, I didn’t get the charismatic bartender rapport that I’m used to in LA. At Mago, the bartender, Jorge, warmly welcomed me and walked me through the Happy Hour specials.  On Mondays & Tuesdays, there are $5 margaritas all night long; on Wednesdays & Thursdays, there are $5 sangria available in 5 different flavors all night. I visited on a Thursday and got to sample 3 different sangria flavors! For my first drink, I had a Passionfruit Sangria and new HHT regular, Tamika, ordered the Pomegranate Sangria. After the first round, Jorge informed us that the Peach Sangria was the most popular flavor so we both ordered a glass. Out of the three flavors, passionfruit was my favorite. When it comes to cocktails, I like a perfect balance of sweet and liquor. I can’t drink the sweet drinks like I used because they bring on the hangovers, and I need to taste the liquor so I know what I’m in for. Mago got did it best with the Passionfruit Sangria in my opinion.



To soak up all that sangria, there are 5 appetizers for $5. Tamika and I each ordered our own order of Taquitos de Tinga, 4 chicken taquitos topped with sour cream, cheese, & salsa. At first glance, the food appears to be just enough for a one person appetizer, but they were so filling that they could should really be shared by two people. We were both so full that we took over half our plates to go. (The taquitos were pretty good when reheated, too!) Other appetizers included guacamole (made table side), nachos libre, quesadillas, and cerviche.  From what I could see from other patrons, all the appetizers looked just as tasty and filling as the taquitos.


As the food portion of happy hour ended, the place continued to fill up with a wide variety of folks looking for $5 sangria. Bartender Jorge kept everyone’s glass full and even offered to take a photo of Tamika & I since he saw us so busy snapping away at our food & drinks.


Hardly one to miss the Thursday night line up of new Greys Anatomy and Scandal episodes, I’m glad that I got off the couch for this Happy Hour!
-JG

Rating: 5 Martinis

Mago Grill & Cantina on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails