1.19.2012

Chevy’s

701 N San Fernando Blvd
Burbank, CA 91502
(818) 846-6999

Parking: Free Parking Lot!
Days: Daily
Time: 2pm-close!
Drink Deals: $3 Margaritas, Draft Beers, Wines by the Glass, and Well Drinks
Food Deals: Appetizers from $3.99-$14.99

“Nothing to write home about.” The saying is old, but it’s not quite stale – it’s totally how I felt about the Happy Hour at Chevy’s in Burbank along that consumer alley featuring IKEA, Barnes and Noble, a mall, several movie theaters, etc. The area is actually pretty efficient to get some shopping done, especially if you get there early to beat the crowds, and I can’t tell you how nice it is to actually have a big old bookstore to browse – a real trip down memory lane!
In my hometown, there wasn’t too much for weirdo kids like me to do, so we usually found ourselves at Barnes and Noble looking up cuss-words in Spanish or finding diagrams of the esophagus, you know – totally normal stuff…

A bit of a digression, but that’s kind of what I love about Burbank – it reminds me of those days and that kind of community, a bit different from The Happy Hour Tour Headquarters in Hollywood. So after an afternoon of IKEA shopping for cheap, but cool home improvements, I found myself on a solo Happy Hour at Chevy’s!

Dos Equis Popcorn Shrimp - $7.99


Buffalo Chips - $3.99

The HH deals are pretty rad for a post shopping or movie cocktail and bite; you can get margaritas (original or fruit-flavored), domestic beer drafts, house wine, and well drinks for $3(!) all afternoon – seriously from 2pm to close! For food, they’ve got a selection of items ranging from $3.99-$14.99 (that’s the appetizer combo). I tried the $3 margarita and an order of Dos Equis Popcorn Shrimp ($7.99) and Buffalo Chips – chips with buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese dressing ($3.99).

$3 Margarita

Herein lies the rub – having visited so many fantastic gourmet-kinda Happy Hours with equally good prices, I was not totally impressed by the tastes of the mass-produced drink and grub at Chevy’s. It wasn’t bad by any means, but it just wasn’t great, kinda like something you could buy frozen and heat up at home… Nothing to write home about. Plus, I felt like my service was slow – I know I was dining alone and that might make time pass slower, but I really do think it took about 25 minutes to get my food order. Luckily, I had Entertainment Weekly’s Best of 2011 to keep me company!

 
Get yourself some chips & salsa, home slice!

Overall though, I think Chevy’s would be a fine to place to visit if you’re out and about in that area and want to chill out with a $3 cocktail and some complimentary chips and salsa and an appetizer or two, but I don’t think I’d ever make a special trip just to go there.

--JB

Rating: 3 Martinis

Chevy's Fresh Mex on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails