8.30.2011

Bar & Kitchen

O Hotel
819 S. Flower St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
213.623.904 ext 105
www.barandkitchenla.com

twitter.com/barandkitchen
Parking: $6 Public Parking Lot next to The O Hotel
Days: Monday – Friday
Times: 4-7pm
Drink Deals: $3-4 Beers, $6 Wine, $7 cocktails
Food Deals: $5 “Savvy Eats”

I just love checking out new places that I may have never gotten around to if it wasn’t for my adventurous friend, The Minty. Of course, I check out new places for the site all the time, but sometimes it’s hard to find company who want to experiment with food & cocktails as much as I do. Whenever I hang out with The Minty, not only do I get to try new things, but I almost always find a great happy hour such as Bar & Kitchen.

Bar & Kitchen is located on the first floor of the O Hotel in downtown LA. They feature a weekday happy hour from 4-7pm that’s right up the alley with the after-work crowd, as evidenced on my Friday evening visit, when my fellow patrons were mostly dressed in their best business casual attire. Bar & Kitchen even features free wi-fi for those who may need to get some work done over a liquid lunch/dinner!
Because I peeked at the menu before happy hour, I was more interested in the food than the drinks and left plenty of room in my stomach prior to my arrival. My eyes were immediately drawn to the fried green tomatoes topped with crabmeat ($12). They are not featured on the happy hour menu, but it’s an appetizer that I highly recommend. From the happy hour menu, we ordered the spicy Korean wins ($5) and the parmesan truffle tots ($5). Lately, I’ve felt that places have been overusing truffle, but I gave these tots a chance and I’m glad I did. I’ve always loved tater tots and this order was so crispy and didn’t overdo it with the truffle or parmesan. When The Minty offered me the last few tots, I was happy to accept.
Fried Green Tomatoes topped with Crabmeat
Parmesan Truffle Tots

For my first cocktail, I ordered a glass of the ViƱa Tobia white wine ($6) because I had no idea what to get from the cocktail menu. We moved to the bar where I was introduced to the bartender, Ricky, who was more than happy to guide me through their cocktail menu. I’m currently into refreshing cocktails with fruit, but nothing too sweet or heavy. Right away, he told me that he had the cocktail for me – The Japan-town Fizz ($10), a cocktail with sake, soda water, watermelon, mint-tea syrup, & lime juice. The cocktail is not featured on happy hour, but I’m always open to paying full price for a well-crafted cocktail here and there. Worth noting, there are 3 strong specialty cocktails, made with whiskey & other fancy ingredients, listed for $7 during happy hour.


Japan-town Fizz cocktail
Bar & Kitchen is definitely a happy hour that I would check out again. It appeared that most people at happy hour either worked in the area or were guests of the hotel, but I think people who need to get out and explore downtown LA should get over to this bar. Parking is easy, the area isn’t scary, and the food & drinks are well worth it!
For more photos from Bar & Kitchen, check out our facebook page!
-JG

Rating: 4 Martinis

Bar & Kitchen (O Hotel) on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. You and Minty are so much fun together! Looks like you avoided most of the HH menu, but that Japan-town Fizz does sound refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! And to think that was just the beginning of our evening...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's many more happy hours with The Happy Hour Tour/The Minty to come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails