5.27.2010

Kay 'n Dave's Cantina

9341 Culver Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
310.558.8100
www.kayndaves.com

Parking: Parking lot in back; Limited Street Parking; Various Parking Garages – 1st 2 hours free
Daily, 4-7pm, $3 house margaritas, sangria, Tecate drafts, well drinks, house wine, & shots of Cazadores Reposado. Plus – select appetizers between 3-5… and $1 tacos!

I had never heard of Kay ‘n Dave’s until
LA Weekly happy hour issue. Since I needed to break my regular cocktail routine and get back to happy hour work (yes, drinking sometimes is work) I decided to go with something new. Besides, you can never go wrong with Mexican.

Clearly, I was wrong.

Kay ‘n Dave’s was pretty unimpressive. This was pretty surprising considering Mexican food and drinks are hard to do wrong. Also, for a place this large in size, I’m sure it must be pretty popular. Happy hour only takes place in the bar and patio area, but this area is so large that the happy hour area alone could be it’s own restaurant.

Now, the not-so-good. We grabbed a spot outside and it took a few minutes for someone to take our order. Usually, I time this sort of thing when I am “working,” but I was busy catching up with friends and skipped the timer. I do know that we had enough time to review the menu, decide what we wanted for food
and drink before we got to the gossip. When someone did come around, they asked if we wanted water and unfortunately did not speak much English past that.

We eventually got our drink and food order in. While we waited for our drink orders to arrive, 2 other servers came over to ask if we had ordered. They were both very friendly, but we started to get worried that maybe our order had never been put in since people kept asking. We even befriended a confused couple that arrived after us because people kept asking if they had ordered, making them wonder if their drinks were coming at all. They eventually moved indoors.
The drinks eventually made their way to us without us having to reorder. Phew! My friend went for the $3 Tecate draft and I the $3 white sangria. The drinks were decent size, and my sangria was tasty and colorful. For food, we ordered the spinach mushroom onion quesadilla, Mexican pizza, & chicken mole quesadilla. The food was all right, but it tasted like it was very rushed and not very warm. Nothing blended together. It just tasted like food layered on top of each with no blend of flavors. I have no idea how a quesadilla, which the general principle of making is to melt everything together, managed to not blend the flavors together. Needless to say, we decided not to order another round of drinks and received our check from yet another server.











With so many other good spots in this Culver City strip, there’s no way I would revisit for food. I
might return for drinks, but I’d make sure to sit at the bar so I knew it was definitely coming.
-JG
Rating: 2 Martinis

Kay 'n Dave's Cantina on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. You should re-visit. We go often, for HH, have made some friends in the bar / serve staff, and have hand nothing but a good time. 99% of the time we are there for HH and only order HH food, so I can not speak for the dining room. But, with good prices on HH drinks and food, why eat / drink anywhere but the bar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go here about 3 times a month - usually Sunday afternoon - and it is our all time favorite happy hour spot. I can't believe how strong the margaritas are given that they're $4. Their chicken mole quesadilla is the best quesadilla I've ever had. I'm not trying to convince anyone to visit, though. They're crowded enough as it is.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails