3.16.2010

Borracho - CLOSED

8570 Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 289-8809

Parking: Parking Lot off Alta Loma Drive (good luck) & metered Street Parking

Daily, 3-6 pm AND 10 pm-1 am, $5 martinis, $3 Gin & Tonics, $15 beer buckets and get this shit, ½ OFF ALL FOOD ITEMS!!!

UPDATE: Happy hour now features 2-for-1 on all drinks with a select menu of happy hour food items (alas, not 1/2 off all food). Still a good deal.




I can't help but say the word "Borracho" as if I was the Taco Bell Chihuahua - Borrrrrrrrrrrr-acho! However, the name was kind of a misnomer for my first visit to Borracho - after a rough Friday night at the Woods (was lucky to make it out with only bramble scratches), I was happy to bathe in some Saturday afternoon sunlight and cool my heels with a Diet Coke & Grenadine. What's Spanish for teetotaler?

I always liked Tony's, the steakhouse that lived in this space just prior to Borracho - $5 martinis all the time, okay happy hour deals too. But I was even more excited to hear about this upscale Mexican bar/restaurant now inhabiting the digs! The afternoon happy hour lends itself to the location, the space looks gorgeous with the Western setting sun and its Mexican restaurant coloring.


And you have to love the deals - 1/2 off all food items (that means entrees too!), $5 martinis, $15 beer buckets (5 bottles, $3 apiece - your choice of Tecate, Heineken, Dos Equis, and Dos Equis Amber), and $3 Gin & Tonics (a little random, but who doesn't love a good Tanqueray & Tonic?!). Plus it's offered daily from 3-6 pm and then again from 10 pm - 1 am. Jennie enjoyed her refreshing margarita & me my Diet Roy Rogers and we both had full meals - she went for the short rib tacos and I had the delicious sweet corn tamale. Both were served with black beans and Spanish rice, plus our favorites - complimentary chips & salsa. And both meals were like $7 - sham-a-lang-a-ding-dong, that's a sweet deal! Next time, with God as my witness, I will feast upon the pomegranate guacamole.



The parking sitch isn't as lovable, well our experience wasn't. At the parking garage located behind the strip (on Alta Loma Road) JG & I drove down four parking levels searching in vain for a spot, only to have to drive back out and find parking on Sunset - which isn't even that bad as you can cover it with a debit/credit card! Word to the wise, find street parking first. Or if you go late and aren’t averse to valet, that’s another option.

Our waiter wasn't 100% lovable either, I know I drink my liquids fast (especially when replenishing fluids after a night in the Woods), but riddle me why Fred Armisen-lookalike-waiter didn't bring me a water or soda re-fill for 25 minutes?! Please note that we did ask for a refill, politely waited, and even put the empty glass on the edge of the table when it was clear he forgot.

Así es la vida, these are truly trivial matters though when it comes down to swell-priced menu items, a cool location, and some nice daily time frames.

--JB

Rating: 4.5 Martinis


Borracho Cantina on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails